XAMPP private and unseen

The place to ask questions about 3DStudio Max, Blender, Pro Motion, open source items, libraries, ect..
Mardonis

XAMPP private and unseen

Post by Mardonis »

Hello,

I was wandering if anyone knew if it's possible to use portable xampp in a way to were it's unseen when navigating thru the ip from another computer? Example: I have portable XAMPP on this machine up and running. Then I go to another computer across the room and navigate to the hosted computer with the XAMPP and not be able to view that i have it running. Because if and when i do that from another computer it displays the homepage of the XAMPP. I guess I just need it to be unseen (from prying eyes internally) when trying to navigate to it anyway thru ip or computer name. The XAMPP is running locally so I can test a project ive been working on.

Thank you,
Mardonis
Jackolantern

Re: XAMPP private and unseen

Post by Jackolantern »

I would change the XAMPP port. If you change it to say 38617, no one is going to hit your computer on that port. There will be no way for them to know it is running unless they ping your machine on that port (which is basically never going to happen). Right now XAMPP is set to use port 80, the default port of the browser and the web.

I couldn't find instructions to change the port specifically for the portable version, but I did find this. You should be able to adjust that to the portable version.

If you change the port, you will have to adjust how you get to the website yourself. If you were to use the port above, for example, you would go to localhost:38617/myPage.php
The indelible lord of tl;dr
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

You can change the post right through the control panel in XAMP where you start the services.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Ohhh lol. I always did it through the configuration files when I did haha.
a_bertrand

Post by a_bertrand »

Beside using a port scanner... which would reveal that you are running a website on that port.
Creator of Dot World Maker
Mad programmer and annoying composer
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

a_bertrand wrote:Beside using a port scanner... which would reveal that you are running a website on that port.
That is true. Do you think a .htaccess file could be configured to keep it private?
a_bertrand

Post by a_bertrand »

Yes and no, you could define in the .htaccess who (IP based for example) can have access to it. However I would personally then use a firewall rule to open this port only to the selected IP.
Creator of Dot World Maker
Mad programmer and annoying composer
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

a_bertrand wrote:Yes and no, you could define in the .htaccess who (IP based for example) can have access to it. However I would personally then use a firewall rule to open this port only to the selected IP.
I first thought of a firewall, but I am assuming if Mardonis doesn't want others on the network to know he is running XAMPP, he is at work or school or something and doesn't have firewall configurations rights.

If I am wrong, and you do have firewall config access, that would be the way to go, Mardonis. :cool:
Mardonis

Post by Mardonis »

Yes I am on a network that is tighter and locked down more than anything. I'm not allowed to change any of the firewall settings and all of that stuff is also locked down and greyed out with only admin privs to change. Thank you for the link and the suggestions on doing this. I'll try this now and see if it works in doing what I need it to do. What about this port scanner? Is that something that runs in the background from the admins to see if anybodys pc has open ports that are not supposed to be on a global network or do they have to do it individually by having to manualy finding my ip then run the scanner?
Mardonis

Post by Mardonis »

Found this neat site that tells how listening and open ports using netstat http://www.speedguide.net/faq_in_q.php?qid=115. Going to test this also and see if i can find anything while using a different computer.

Return to “Programs/Assets/Libs/Open Source/Ect...”