GIT and SFTP

The place to ask questions about 3DStudio Max, Blender, Pro Motion, open source items, libraries, ect..
vitinho444

GIT and SFTP

Post by vitinho444 »

I got two things i need help, SFTP and GIT
1- SFTP
While browsing on the Internet i found out that we are not supposed to use FTP anymore :o

I use it since i started web programming.. I don't know how to use any other protocol to upload and download files in my server.

I use Filezilla, is it possible to use SFTP with it? If not what software can i use (WINDOWS)

2- GIT
I found other thing, in the world of team development, apparently this helps a lot of trouble. Well i work alone and if i need help i use emails or IM to get things from the other elements. But i wish i could learn more and use this awesome tool, GIT (or SVN, i prefer to start with GIT).

I'm reading the GIT Documentation, but sometimes it doesn't show as they say and that's confusing, anyone have some good tutorials for setting up a project, then giving usernames to all team members (i wanna use SSH or whatever the name).

I already know some commands due to the need of using HEROKU for facebook app development that they force you to use git to update the apps, but i wish to know more of this world since it can save some time :)

Im open for opinions as always :P
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Re: GIT and SFTP

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

You can still use FTP

I used GIT at work constantly. Its a good team development tool but it is soooooo over bloated with all these different features and ways to handle repos.
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

hallsofvallhalla wrote:You can still use FTP

I used GIT at work constantly. Its a good team development tool but it is soooooo over bloated with all these different features and ways to handle repos.
So it's safe to use FTP? good.

About GIT, do you recommend using SVN or other version control? I want something that is simple and effective.. For what i've learned so far, in GIT you pull the last version, edit it, add, commit and push. How difficult can it be :lol:

Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

GIT is much easier than using a full-blown SVN. It is also pretty much the main choice of developers today due to the social aspects it offers over an SVN. Here is a video that shows how to use it. It is a bit older, but I believe it should all hold up. If anything doesn't work, there may be some outdated parts, at which point I just suggest to go through the GitHub "getting started" tutorial, which worked great for me. Within about 15 minutes, I had my Javascript word library, WordList-JS up on GitHub.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

Yeah yesterday i found a cool website that explained all i needed to make a project on github and stuff.

One thing i don't like in github is that things need to be public -.- Or else i need to pay

Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

This is true, but honestly, most projects are quite private. Even if you don't want them to be lol. I don't know if I have gotten a single view on my WordList-JS project. You could even go further by giving it an odd name on GitHub and not including a ReadMe. No one will give it a second look, guaranteed. The popular projects on GitHub have all found their audience outside of GitHub for the most part.

If you feel you absolutely must have private repos, a small SVN such as Bazaar would work well. It is just a bit more of a pain to learn and get up and running.
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

Yeah im not saying people will find my projects, but it's a bit awkward if someone goes there and "steals" some of it.

But you got a live with this, i know more or less on how to do things at git and it looks cool and professional. Still don't need it 100%, it's just a joke for now.

Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Give it a nonsensical name like "thalgruupthud" and don't include a Readme. It will just be some anonymous pile of files no one will ever in a million years spend the time to go through the figure out what it is. Without a Readme, nothing appears under the repo to tell you what the heck the project actually is. And even if some crazy lightning strike happens and someone finds it, most people with the skills to actually use any of your code know how things work and wouldn't steal anything they aren't allowed to.
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

Hehe probably shouldn't name my website project MYCOMPANYWEBSITE xDDDDD i will delete it and change to initials only then. Thanks

Return to “Programs/Assets/Libs/Open Source/Ect...”