Blender GE Questions

The place to ask questions about 3DStudio Max, Blender, Pro Motion, open source items, libraries, ect..
SpiritWebb

Blender GE Questions

Post by SpiritWebb »

How familiar is everyone here with Blender 3d?

If I wanted to take my space mmo, and use Blender 3d, I don't understand the Game Engine side, to where it would allow the object to "fly" as to opposed driving. Every video I have seen, explains using a "ground." (Driving a car, or something to that nature. Ball on a table, etc. Nothing as to a permanent state in the "air" so to speak.)

I don't understand how to set this up...if anyone can help here, please...

Edit: I upgraded to the new version of Blender 3d, 2.49 with the newest version of Python.

hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Re: Blender GE Questions

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

I am .0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% familiar with Blender so sorry, cant help. But Raven and some others know it pretty well.
Sakar

Post by Sakar »

I know Blender pretty well, but absolutely nothing about the Game Engine.
SpiritWebb

Post by SpiritWebb »

This sucks! LOL! But thats ok, eventually I will get my question answered, just I guess I'm not meant to know it at this moment! I will keep searching, unless someone here can answer it. *Shrugs*

Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Is the game engine drag'n'drop, or is it code-based? If it is code-based and you are writing code to place and control the vehicle, it should be pretty easy to solve. If it is drag'n'drop, that could be totally different, and I guess it is possible that they didn't think to add some way to do it.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
SpiritWebb

Post by SpiritWebb »

You can do either or. But there is a way to do it through their drag n drop, so to speak. Its not really drag n drop style, like Game Maker. You want a key to work, then click keyboard, and press the key, then link it with a line. Then leave the next bar alone, link it with a line. The last part is my problem, which one do I use to make it move forward, side to side, etc. And how to make it so it doesn't keep dropping.

If its done through programming, then its Python.

Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Maybe check out this page. It is a tutorial about using the Blender game engine. Of particular interest is probably the sections on making things move without physics, and with physics. Obviously their physics code has gravity that is going to suck the object back down towards the ground. Maybe you could use the "without physics" tutorial to make it fly?
SpiritWebb

Post by SpiritWebb »

Thanks, I will look into and let you know what I find!!

Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

No problem! If you can override the physics, you may have to script your own. Just be sure that within the gravitational field of a planet, a vehicle must keep moving to stay in flight. Once a vehicle reaches outside of the gravitational pull (about 35km above the surface of a planet the mass of Earth), it can come to a full stop in flight. However, that can take tens of thousands of miles, as there is such little friction in space to stop it from moving.
kyraneth

Post by kyraneth »

the BGE is node based. I made several games with just the node interface a few years back, i don't think i still remember how to use it perfectly :oops:

If you want an object to fly without complex physics involved (Ie: no lift, air friction etc...) it should be easy. you could just add a controler for the y axis and here you go. If you could give more instructions, i would be happy to try and help you :)
Just FYI, the post is above, so stop looking down here and do something useful.

king noob. Nice.

Return to “Programs/Assets/Libs/Open Source/Ect...”