Maya Animation: Transformers

The place to ask questions about 3DStudio Max, Blender, Pro Motion, open source items, libraries, ect..
neronix17

Maya Animation: Transformers

Post by neronix17 »

I have been given the task at college to make a 30-60 second animation in Maya (with other programs as needed), of anything I want, so I immediately though "Transformer", god knows why cos Im not a HUGE transformers fan, watched the cartoons when I was little and the movies now but didnt follow it like a cult. I have a tutorial that helps with making a transformer in Lightwave and having it transform fully, but its as complicated looking as the movie ones and Im looking for a happy medium between the traditional ones (blocks) and the new ones (insanely detailed) which Ive now figured out to be more complicated shapes but not too many. Im struggling to find a decent tutorial to transformer animation in Maya but the one thing Im stuck with most is, what vehicle should it be? and how should the robot look?

I mean I can choose anything really, a train, a jet, a VW Beetle or even a rocket ship, but then Id have to decide on if it is humanoid? could it be on four legs instead of 2? does it have a tail? should it have massive guns on it or concealed? maybe none at all? No Idea, so really Im wondering what people think would be cool? maybe a couple very rough drawings? As a last resort Im just going to do an old fashioned Optimus with the magically appearing trailer, but Id like to see what everyone thinks would be cool before I start doing that.

Also if anyone can point me in the direction of some good tutorials on Maya animation? Im kinda new to the program so Ive only really gotten the modelling part figured out.

Thanks
-Nero
This isnt just a gimp mask...This is an S&M gimp mask...
D3luxe

Re: Maya Animation: Transformers

Post by D3luxe »

At this point I'm guessing the assignment was finished..Howd it turn out??
Adobe Photoshop CS4/Illustrator CS4
Adobe Flash CS4
3DS Max & Maya
PC Spec:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 (2.8ghz)
8gb 800Mhz DDR2 RAM
1gb nVidia GTX275
2TB SATA HD
Windows 7 RTM
neronix17

Post by neronix17 »

D3luxe wrote:At this point I'm guessing the assignment was finished..Howd it turn out??
I dropped out and started game development instead, never even got started properly lol
This isnt just a gimp mask...This is an S&M gimp mask...
spawnfestis

Post by spawnfestis »

neronix17 wrote:
D3luxe wrote:At this point I'm guessing the assignment was finished..Howd it turn out??
I dropped out and started game development instead, never even got started properly lol
Good choice. Haha! Maya.. arghh!
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

This thread is nearly a year old. I realize we don't get much traffic in this forum section, but please do not post in old threads.
The indelible lord of tl;dr

Return to “Programs/Assets/Libs/Open Source/Ect...”