app game kit

All things HTML5 or text based engines, or really any web based engines.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

app game kit

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

http://www.appgamekit.com/

Just curious if anyone owns it or knows anyone that uses it. I know TGC all to well. Still have a copy of Dark basic lying around somewhere as well as a few copies of FPS Creator but have not dealt with this much.
Jackolantern

Re: app game kit

Post by Jackolantern »

It has been a while since I have looked at it, but there were always things I didn't like about it. These things may have changed, because it appears a new major version out. But first, I didn't like that the choices were either a proprietary BASIC format (with no OOP, like DarkBASIC) or straight, fairly low-level C++ with library functions. Second, there were a lot of performance questions, particularly on the BASIC version. Some people even said it compared poorly compared to HTML5 apps with wrappers. There were a few other things as well that I can't quite remember, and can't find on the website now, so maybe they are behind it.

But I guess there are just better options for cross-platform game development in my opinion. LibGDX, Corona SDK, Marmalade, Unity and others (including the group of engines that build on top of MonoGame and use C#, like Delta Engine and Paradox 3D) have bigger communities, more features, better structure, better game showcases, etc.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Yep good points. Haven't seen Paradox yet. Very cool looking.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

To my knowledge, they still use Xamarin for Android and iOS (I think any cross-platform .NET has to), but maybe it integrates better. Not really sure.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Kesstryl

Post by Kesstryl »

I recently bought a copy of their Gameguru engine off of Steam, and I have to say I'm loving it! Very fun and easy 3d game maker, uses Lua as the scripting language which is also easy to learn, and the engine is being converted to pure C++ so no more Dark Basic. I can't afford the App Game Kit though.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

I also bought a copy, well technically two but its pretty neat.

Return to “HTML5/Web Engines”