2 game makers

All things HTML5 or text based engines, or really any web based engines.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

2 game makers

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

found these two, byond I have seen before been around for a while.

Anyone use them? comments?

http://www.sploder.com/

http://www.byond.com/
vitinho444

Re: 2 game makers

Post by vitinho444 »

I've used Sploder, it's very basic and it's a drag and drop kind of game making. It is easy to make simple games but limited to the types that they want. Also not rewarding intellectually imo.
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

Xaos

Post by Xaos »

I used to play some Byond games, they were all rips of each other though.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

its funny how that goes. I see so much of that in game makers/engines. A popular game gets done over and over. Usually reskinned.

There is only so many times I can race *insert animal here* in a side scroller while dodging *insert enemy here*
or
there is only so many times I can launch *insert angry creature here* at *insert enemy here* in a collision game
or
there is only so many times I can be a young kid who does not know his potential and must save the town from a evil warlord.
Xaos

Post by Xaos »

Most of the games I played (i was much younger) were games based off of anime, so LITERALLY every part of it was the same. The only differences was how fast you got skill points/leveled up. Sometimes nothing was different. At all.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

My wife used to play with Byond when she was about 14 lol (yeah, Byond has been around a long time). I just went and had another look at it today. The most popular game by far on Byond is Space Station 13. Here is a video of it. Here is their forum. Yep, pretty much every thread is complaining about admins and their bans, admins yelling to everyone that someone was banned, or players asking about why someone wasn't banned. And sadly, that pretty much seems to sum up most Byond games that even have enough players to function. It seems they have largely moved away from the anime games, as most of them will have 0 - 3 players on, but the same garbage is still going on that was going on then. Players feel they have been vindicated by becoming a mod, and take out their frustrations on the playerbase. See Eclipse forums.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Xaos

Post by Xaos »

Jackolantern wrote:My wife used to play with Byond when she was about 14 lol (yeah, Byond has been around a long time). I just went and had another look at it today. The most popular game by far on Byond is Space Station 13. Here is a video of it. Here is their forum. Yep, pretty much every thread is complaining about admins and their bans, admins yelling to everyone that someone was banned, or players asking about why someone wasn't banned. And sadly, that pretty much seems to sum up most Byond games that even have enough players to function. It seems they have largely moved away from the anime games, as most of them will have 0 - 3 players on, but the same garbage is still going on that was going on then. Players feel they have been vindicated by becoming a mod, and take out their frustrations on the playerbase. See Eclipse forums.
Yeah, byond apparently got in some copyright trouble and with their crackdown on ripped games, they went by the wayside.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Wow, it is pretty hard to believe that any IP owners actually considered Byond games a threat. I wonder if they actually played one...
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Xaos

Post by Xaos »

Jackolantern wrote:Wow, it is pretty hard to believe that any IP owners actually considered Byond games a threat. I wonder if they actually played one...
Yeah. I'm thinking it was mostly Dragonball Z in regards, but I know thats the main downfall.

Return to “HTML5/Web Engines”