Turbulenz Open Source HTML5 Engine

All things HTML5 or text based engines, or really any web based engines.
Kesstryl

Turbulenz Open Source HTML5 Engine

Post by Kesstryl »

I thought the list of things this engine could do was rather impressive, and I'm not sure if anyone already knew about it so here's the link: http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/JamesAus ... source.php

Here's the link to the source code: https://github.com/turbulenz/turbulenz_engine
a_bertrand

Re: Turbulenz Open Source HTML5 Engine

Post by a_bertrand »

Well nope sorry I don't count it as HTML5 engine as it requires a plugin basically. I would then choose unity 3D in that case maybe.
Creator of Dot World Maker
Mad programmer and annoying composer
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

a_bertrand wrote:Well nope sorry I don't count it as HTML5 engine as it requires a plugin basically. I would then choose unity 3D in that case maybe.
Actually it doesn't appear that it does require a plugin, at least from what I can see. I started playing one of the games made with it, and was never prompted to download anything, nor did I get the "Run Java App" warning. It seems as though the game is part of a "Turbulenz network" where you sign in with FB or something else, probably to save high scores or progress, but since it is MIT open source, if that is a requirement it could just be forked and have that part removed.

Maybe I am missing something, but it seems all native browser-side. If that is so, they may really have something here.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
a_bertrand

Post by a_bertrand »

I tried the demo and all required a plugin T.T
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Really? That is weird. I wonder why I wasn't prompted. It would be weird if I had gotten their plugin somehow before lol.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Oh, were you playing a 3D game when you got prompted to download a plugin? I didn't actually try one of those. The 3D games were what I found really unbelievable that it could be WebGL, considering the current state of WebGL's hardware acceleration and the current implementations.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

I have actually spoken to them on one of their YouTub videos. They swear up and down that there are no plugins, and nothing besides WebGL being used.

Bertrand, what game was it you got the plugin notice on? Do you have a link? Perhaps you unknowingly got routed to another company's game by an unclear link or something. Otherwise, they are straight-up and obviously lying to people, but it seems like a lie that would be figured out after just a few minutes.
a_bertrand

Post by a_bertrand »

I checked with IE (up to 10) and those require a special plugin. If you run them with chrome for example then no plugin is required. That means it checks if your browser is compatible or not.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Ahhh, so it sounds like more of a shim than a full-on plugin. That is understandable since IE still lags behind in a lot of the cutting-edge HTML5 and WebGL stuff. At least it is there. You could probably customize the "install" experience where you could plead with the user to upgrade to Chrome or FF, but then offer the plugin if they select that they cannot or will not upgrade.

Return to “HTML5/Web Engines”