HTML5 Game Competition!

All things HTML5 or text based engines, or really any web based engines.
srachit

HTML5 Game Competition!

Post by srachit »

http://clay.io/competition
So this is an HTML5 game competition and I intend to take part! :D

Now I have some questions for the community and I was hoping everyone could help me out here! :D

1) Looking at my schedule and the end date, I will have approximately 13-15 days of free time to actually work on a game. Taking that into consideration should I work on an HTML5 MMO game using Halls tutorials or it wont be enough time and I should stick to single player game?
2) I know of a game that was made using game maker a few years ago, I wanted to know if I take the same concept and make the game using HTML5, will it be frowned upon?
3) Any ideas on what game I should make?

I really want to win this, so all input will be appreciated! :D

Thanks! :)
Renavoid

Re: HTML5 Game Competition!

Post by Renavoid »

Given the timeframe of the contest, I recommend choosing a particular gameplay mechanic or two that you want to experiment with, and cohesively polish a game based on those. A unique, polished game can outshine an unfinished mmorpg very quickly (and I love mmorpgs!). A perfect example of this is a game called Continuity. http://continuitygame.com/playcontinuity.html It is an extremely simple game that quickly becomes addictive because of how well thought out the idea was - and how true the game remained to its own physics. I think that if you have some idea that is flexible enough to be made into a game quickly, then you can polish it and expand it to make it really fun. "Fun" might mean expanding the game over levels as continuity does, or through some sort of exploration/puzzle factor like Portal, or perhaps some sort of horror factor like the Slender games. Those are just my thoughts at the moment. Bite of a piece that you can really chew into..mush... geez, that's a horrid analogy.
The winds of change are blowing; will you heed their call?
srachit

Post by srachit »

Thanks for that! It was great input and helped me decide to stay away from MMO for this contest :)
Renavoid

Post by Renavoid »

You're welcome for the input. I just realized that I automatically converted MMO into MMORPG in my head. Ha! But, the gist is the same for these purposes.

As to your second point... Taking a concept and building it in your own fashion is how most games... okay, really ANYTHING is made. Assuming you aren't just recreating the game using HTML5 instead of GameMaker... but even then, the rules don't say anything about creating an original game - so as long as you're not stepping on copyright toes you should be fine. <- I actually wonder about how this works on some parody remakes of things like the Legend of Zelda. Having said that, the scoring is based off of how many people play your game, what rating they give it, and then the judges' evaluations. SO, it's probably best to give your own twist to things. Similar enough that people will try to play it because it feels familiar, but different enough that everyone who plays it can go, "oh, that's interesting!" at your mechanics or art style or use of audio (I saw a game where you were a little blot of ink guy and you ran along a music score jumping from note to note. Every time you landed on a note, that note would play, so you were trying to play the whole song (and it was easiest if you kept moving to the beat of the music)).

If you have a way to fest up that GameMaker game, go for it! If not, see if you can think of one. :) Or, is there anything you're particularly interested in, or really enjoy? Like that music game which came about because the team was only a team of 6, but 3 of them were audio oriented and had a great idea.
The winds of change are blowing; will you heed their call?

Return to “HTML5/Web Engines”