Looking for Impact Alternative

All things HTML5 or text based engines, or really any web based engines.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Looking for Impact Alternative

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

BTW created this forum since HTML5 is a BIG topic here. We will start moving the HTML5 topics here and please post your future topics here.

Anyways I am looking to build a Html5 MMORPG then release it but as I got to thinking, I need to build it with a free HTML5 engine so I can release the tutorials and maybe even build a complete engine out of it but still have the ability to have free and paid for versions.

I would like the HTML5 engine to be like Impact so as I am not relearning it all. How far is crafty from impact? Looking for suggestions. It needs to have a map editor.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Re: Looking for Impact Alternative

looking at MelonJs the most. Looks pretty good and very close to Impact. I could build a HTML5 MMORPG engine and not have to worry about distribution. I wonder if I get some things built and a good example if a kickstarter for this would do well.
srachit

Post by srachit »

Well I havent ever seen any code from impact, so cannot comment on that. But I have worked with both enchantjs and craftyjs. I must say that I found enchantjs much easier to learn than crafty, enchant has a smaller learning curve yet it is very powerful.

Video of enchantjs presentation: http://vimeo.com/53698803

It does not have a map editor like you wanted, but a quick google search brought this up: https://github.com/wise9/enchantMapEditor

Other than that they also have a rpg example game with the codes available for download.

A quick tutorial to understand enchantjs coding style: http://www.raywenderlich.com/23370/how- ... enchant-js
srachit

Post by srachit »

Oh Inforgot to mention, maybe you could use the breakouts games to compare coding styles and see which you prefer?
http://city41.github.com/breakouts/feat ... rison.html

Did a google search for crafty map editor and found one for it too! I guess all the engines have a map editor so that shouldnt be a problem, now for coding style you could use the breakouts games to compare, or use enchantjs because I'm a fan :P
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Thanks for the links

most of them use this
http://www.mapeditor.org/

Will check out enchant
Viper

Post by Viper »

Have you looked any further into playcraft? It seemed promising but I never heard anyone mention it again
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

It is going to charge I believe and I am looking for free products as I am building a mmo engine with it and want to be able to release source. Paid or free. So I am not sure.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

There are still a lot of unknowns with Playcraft. Will it really have built-in mobile wrappers? How good will those wrappers perform? Will it really have built-in networking? What types of games will that networking support? How expensive is it going to be when it goes gold?

After 3+ months of silence, there has finally been an update which is good. They have added forums and released a bug fix update. I was starting to really wonder about them, but at least this means things are still moving forward.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Viper

Post by Viper »

Jackolantern wrote:There are still a lot of unknowns with Playcraft. Will it really have built-in mobile wrappers? How good will those wrappers perform? Will it really have built-in networking? What types of games will that networking support? How expensive is it going to be when it goes gold?

After 3+ months of silence, there has finally been an update which is good. They have added forums and released a bug fix update. I was starting to really wonder about them, but at least this means things are still moving forward.
Ah well that explains it. Thanks for the information
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Don't get me wrong: Playcraft very well could represent the next evolution of HTML5 engines. If the promised features of push-button mobile conversion and networking pan out well, that would greatly simplify HTML5 development. The price obviously has to be right as well. I doubt it is going to be insanely priced since they do have an open beta (I couldn't imagine they would be giving out the code to an engine that will sell for thousands), but we will have to see.
The indelible lord of tl;dr

Return to “HTML5/Web Engines”