HTML5 MMO Engine

All things HTML5 or text based engines, or really any web based engines.
srachit

HTML5 MMO Engine

Post by srachit »

Finally found an engine made for MMO's in HTML5, I wont be using it anytime soon as I am busy learning enchant js, but if anyone else does then please let me know how your experience was with it :)

Oh did I mention it uses node.js? Bet they used Halls tutorials :lol: :P

http://www.html5gamedevelopment.com/htm ... s+node-mmo
Kesstryl

Re: HTML5 MMO Engine

Post by Kesstryl »

Cool site, and nice find. Ty for posting.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

i am actually toying with this engine,
srachit

Post by srachit »

hallsofvallhalla wrote:i am actually toying with this engine,
Do let us know your experience with it :)
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

I am still not sure on the license though. It says BSD/GPL but I am not sure what all that entails.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Dual licensing means that you can choose whichever is most applicable to your needs, and you can choose under which license you want to use or distribute the software (unless there is a unifying license that requires the software is distributed under both licenses, but that rarely happens since there is not a huge point in doing so). The most common time you see this is when the author wants to offer both a permissive license, such as BSD, MIT or WTFPL, and a copyleft license such as GPL.

For most uses, the permissive BSD license would be the one you want, since it essentially allows all uses of the software and mostly exists to protect the author from liability. :cool:
The indelible lord of tl;dr
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Do I have to share my work? Not that I won't as you guys know I share anything but I want that to be an option

edit: Nevermind I just read your license topic Jack and it gave me my answer.

BTW I am not using this. It is great, I like the way some things were done but to be honest it will take more work for me to learn it than to code it myself in the long run. My impact and node tutorial is a perfect base to quickly get started and I do not have to worry about changing code to add in my features.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Yeah, even though I am not familiar at all with it, the only way I would say to use it versus what you have already made would be if it gave you a large head start on where you are wanting to go. It would have to save at least as much time as it would take to learn it, but preferably more.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
doublefelix

Post by doublefelix »

As a very first step into learning what I need to make a small scale 2D minecraftish multiplayer world, I was very interested in running and modifying my own Cobalt Calibur 3 server. Unfortunately, the darn thing won't start for me, and I can find absolutely no one online who has any idea what the problem might be.

OS is 64-bit CentOS 6.4, MongoDB version is 2.4.5, node version is v0.10.12, and npm version is 1.2.32.

I verified MongoDB was running. I unzipped a current GitHub master archive of Cobalt Calibur 3 into /var/www/html and ran "npm install" from that directory. After that completed, "node server.js 80" returned the following:

Express Attempting to listen on: 127.0.0.1:80
MongoDB The map in Mongo is null
MongoDB Attempting to build the database

/var/www/html/Cobalt-Calibur-3-master/node_modules/mongodb/lib/mongodb/connection/server.js:594
throw err;
^
TypeError: Object # has no method 'collection'
at buildMap (/var/www/html/Cobalt-Calibur-3-master/server.js:395:8)
at /var/www/html/Cobalt-Calibur-3-master/server.js:545:21
at /var/www/html/Cobalt-Calibur-3-master/node_modules/mongodb/lib/mongodb/collection.js:998:5
at /var/www/html/Cobalt-Calibur-3-master/node_modules/mongodb/lib/mongodb/cursor.js:685:35
at Cursor.close (/var/www/html/Cobalt-Calibur-3-master/node_modules/mongodb/lib/mongodb/cursor.js:899:5)
at Cursor.nextObject (/var/www/html/Cobalt-Calibur-3-master/node_modules/mongodb/lib/mongodb/cursor.js:685:17)
at commandHandler (/var/www/html/Cobalt-Calibur-3-master/node_modules/mongodb/lib/mongodb/cursor.js:658:14)
at null. (/var/www/html/Cobalt-Calibur-3-master/node_modules/mongodb/lib/mongodb/db.js:1666:9)
at g (events.js:175:14)
at EventEmitter.emit (events.js:106:17)

Have I missed something obvious? Has anyone had any luck with a recent install of Cobalt Calibur 3? Has a more recent version of a dependent package broken the game? When you were playing with it, how did you get it going? Anything to even point me in a direction on this would be greatly appreciated.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

It is really hard to tell with the error below. Seems maybe a object did not get set to an instance. I think the version i had running for a bit was a older version. Not sure but if I get a chance I will try to take a look.

Return to “HTML5/Web Engines”