What is this game?

hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

What is this game?

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Here lately I have been massively busy with work. Insanely busy. This has led me into a game development funk. I messed around with trying to find a open source game to put up and work with in my free time but that only sunk me further into this hole. I have lost my passion for development, doing tutorials, and much more.

I think much of my issue is not taking the time to work on a game and when I do I fool around with something and then move on to something else. I have always done that but here lately has been worse. I NEED to take some time and build a game. I NEED to go back to some PHP text based semi graphical coding. I am committing myself to this more than anything else. It will be playable before I touch anything else.

So what am I building?

Planetary Wars..A browser based MMORPG where players control a ship and explore the galaxy trading, mining, building, pirating, fighting, and so much more. They will start with a simple small fighter and work their way to battleships, owning empires, becoming Pirate Lords, head of the Police force, owning space stations, and more.

There will be numerous factions and players will develop relationships with each one allowing them to safely travel in their areas to being attacked upon entering it. Plenty of PVP, guilds, factions, ect...

There will be a live economy with players able to take advantage of supply and demand, along with players allowing to carry and sell illegal cargo with possibility of police tracking you.

I have a new type of map system I am trying out which will enable me for a very large galaxy.

Tons of other features will be added.
62896dude

Re: What is this game?

Post by 62896dude »

You go Halls.
Languages: C++, C#, Javascript + Angular, PHP
Programs: Webstorm 2017, Notepad++, Photoshop
Current Project: HP Destiny
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Sounds very cool! :)
The indelible lord of tl;dr
OldRod

Post by OldRod »

Sounds cool! Good luck with it - I totally know the feeling. We 'Halls Disease' sufferers all need to stick together :)
xcalpro

Post by xcalpro »

Your story sounds very familiar. I also have hit a "creative block" and have put my project on hold. Maybe its the summer weather that is pulling me away from the computer. A lot of that going around these days.

I was also in the process of revamping one of the PHP PBBG games. I was tinkering with Dragon Knight as it is a simple game to decypher. All the basic components are there with plenty of room to expand. It has given me a good starting point to start designing my own framework.

We seem to have similar visions as to the type of game we would like to create. If you need help with your project, I would gladly give you a hand. It might be the motivation I need to get me back on track.
Skills: HTML5, JavaScript, PHP, SQL, Python, BASIC, HeroEngine(HSL), AGS(Lua), Unity, Photon, 3D Max, Mudbox, Photoshop, Poser, Flash
"Jack-of-all-Trades, Master of none"
OldRod

Post by OldRod »

Speaking of Dragon Knight... is there any place to get version 1.2 source? The 1.2 download requires a forum account and their forums are closed and locked.

The only links I can find are for 1.11
Foofighter

Post by Foofighter »

cool idea, my project is something similar but i also got an motivation blockade the last few months:(

go on halls u can do it!
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Thanks everyone for the support. I was also looking at the "What games are you playing" topic and noticed no one is playing any PBBG games. I was a bit floored and hope to change all that.
OldRod

Post by OldRod »

hallsofvallhalla wrote:Thanks everyone for the support. I was also looking at the "What games are you playing" topic and noticed no one is playing any PBBG games. I was a bit floored and hope to change all that.
Haven't found one that keeps my interest... that's why I'm working on mine again :)
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

I found some inspiration in playing a few and seeing how bad they really were :)

Return to “General”