Good Server side map maker

A topic built around all the best posts and information from the site. It includes informative posts, links to resources, tips, tricks, ect... Do not post here unless it will become a resource based post.
ShawnSwander

Good Server side map maker

Post by ShawnSwander »

I am ready to add a map to my MMO server it will serve the data of the tiles to my client in small sets. Is there software that is really easy to use for generating and hooking a csv or some tilemap that is mostly raw data into phaser?

I saw tiled and I'm looking at that and I have no idea what objects are in tiled it seems like they generate xml objects. Eventually I want to get some friends to help with the maps so I'm looking for something easy to use Tiled actually seems like a good option but I figured I'd ask
a_bertrand

Re: Good Server side map maker

Post by a_bertrand »

As an external map editor tool tiled seems the best option to me. Personally I have my own map editor as it allows me to have special features which wouldn't be supported by standard tools as well as allows me to edit maps online. If you want to see what my tool can do:
https://www.dotworldmaker.com/Home/map_editor.html
No need to log in, or create an account, just open the link and try. Don't worry as it will not save / destroy anything ;)
Creator of Dot World Maker
Mad programmer and annoying composer
ShawnSwander

Post by ShawnSwander »

I like how your logic detects edges. I was thinking about doing something like that because in tiled I have to do crazy overlapping layers to paint it right because of how my tiles are.
-- EDIT --
Oh I saw the extra tiles so I'm not sure if you're detecting junctions between two types of tiles or not. I thought you were but I might have been mistaken. Anyway I think there might be a way to do something like that and improve the way things operate.

If you look at the attached pic The building on the left was made with a single layer of walls and the one on the right is how I'm wanting them to look. I made the one on the right with an extra layer but I can't make much sense of how the different junctions work and it adds 33% to the file size just to fix that annoying thing. Maybe I could make logic that detects cornders and duplicates the tile to the left of it?

There are certain types of logic that I have trouble wrapping my head around layer stacking and draw order seems to be one of them.
a_bertrand

Post by a_bertrand »

The smart painting and the path painting in my tool do indeed check surrounding tiles and paint them to make transitions, borders, roads or whatever.

Draw order simply tells which image to draw first and then which one to draw afterward. That allows to have objects appearing over others like a stack of transparent papers.

For the layers, I don't know how tiled works as personally I have a single layer of background tiles, and as many other objects as you want on top of it. Background tiles are placed on a grid while the others are not and can be freely pixel wise placed where you want.

All those depends how you want your render engine, and what do you want to do with it.
Creator of Dot World Maker
Mad programmer and annoying composer

Return to “Resources”