Book: Pro HTML5 Games

A topic built around all the best posts and information from the site. It includes informative posts, links to resources, tips, tricks, ect... Do not post here unless it will become a resource based post.
Hamilton

Book: Pro HTML5 Games

Post by Hamilton »

I would recommend this book for those interested in programming browser games with HTML5. And I will give the reason the top reason why:
- If you want to be build a RTS (Real Time Strategy) game with ZERO Skill, you can do it.
All of the source code is provided with explanations of the code.

No generalizations.

- Includes simple AI scripting.
- Path finding for computer controlled units.
- Multi-player capability with Node.JS

Want to see a demo?
This is the author who you may have read recreated Command and Conquer for a browser:
- Author's Website for the Book:
http://www.adityaravishankar.com/pro-html5-games/
- Command and Conquer Demo (both GDI and NOD, levels 1 and 2)
http://www.adityaravishankar.com/projec ... d-conquer/

The book is split up into two sections; one for a clone of Angry Birds and the second for a C&C clone.
The author created the C&C demo first and then was approached by Apress to write a book. The C&C clone (Lost Colony) has some added features to it.

Enjoy.
Sign off,
Hamilton
srachit

Re: Book: Pro HTML5 Games

Post by srachit »

Is there any prerequisite knowledge that is required to learn the concepts of the book?
dbest

Post by dbest »

Taken from the book itself.
Pro HTML5 Games is meant for programmers who already have some HTML and JavaScript programming experience
and who now want to learn to harness the power of HTML5 to build amazing-looking games but don’t know where to
begin.
Hamilton

Post by Hamilton »

I may have been misleading with the "zero-skill." I meant that with zero-skill, a RTS game can be done, by just copying the code and other files (images and sound)... and it works. There needs to be some knowledge with HTML5 and Javascript, such as formatting and commands.

I have copied the files from Chapter 8 onto my web-server as a demo. Multi-player is not supported in that chapter, that is done in the next ones. Past chapters do cover harvesting resources (which is not listed in this demo). If skills are low, I believe this book will still do the trick. Just when there is a point of not-understanding, search it on the web, or ask here.

Lost Colony Demo:
http://www.mrpatrick.com/lostcolony/
Now add some good graphics, sound, modifications... you get the idea.
Sign off,
Hamilton
adityars

Post by adityars »

Hi,

Author of Pro HTML5 Games here...

Glad you are enjoying the book

For those of you who need extra help, I have also started forums specifically for the book on my website where readers can ask questions/doubts.
http://www.adityaravishankar.com/forums/

Good luck with your programming journey...
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Awesome! I am bookmarking it, as I am just starting to read your book on Kindle now :)
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Hamilton

Post by Hamilton »

Well look'y there.
Thanks for stopping by.
Sign off,
Hamilton
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Yeah we seem to be getting quite a few stop by. Very kewl.

I actually picked this book up not long ago.
adityars

Post by adityars »

It's cool to see so many people reading the book...

For those of you who have read the book and enjoyed it, it would mean a lot to me if you could leave a review for Pro HTML5 Games on Amazon so others can hear about it as well... :)

Thanks so much for all your support...

As always, you can contact me via my website contact form or the development forums if you have questions regarding the book or need any specific help with one of your HTML5 game projects based on the book.

Writing the book was only the beginning... My goal is to help as many people as possible become indie-developers and make their own HTML5 games without requiring a big company.

In fact, the next book I am researching is on Monetization strategies and techniques for games... Coming soon so you can start making money with your games :)

Return to “Resources”