Listing of browser-based PBBG MMO engines

A topic built around all the best posts and information from the site. It includes informative posts, links to resources, tips, tricks, ect... Do not post here unless it will become a resource based post.

Re: Listing of browser-based PBBG MMO engines

Postby Jackolantern » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:27 pm

I am going to go in phases. First, I will be updating the ones that are already on the list through the week. Then on Saturday and Sunday I will be finishing up any updates and then add new engines to the list. This will work best for me since finding new engines can be a fairly time-consuming process.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Jackolantern

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Jackolantern » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:54 pm

Unfortunately work blew-up on me this weekend, but the full update is still in the pipeline. I will be trying to work on it this week and am hoping to get it all out and finalized soon!
Jackolantern

Postby Oroton » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:09 am

This is worth coming back to
Oroton

Postby Jackolantern » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:02 am

Whew! Okay I think I am done with this update after spending at least 10 hours today on it. I may sporadically add a few new finds over the next few days but essentially here is the breakdown:

20 entries removed. These had either disappeared from the web entirely, hadn't had any development for years or for some other reason seemed to offer very little value and I felt they would just clutter up the list and possibly prevent someone from finding something they are looking for. A lot of the ones I removed were just old SourceForge zips with their websites down, no updates in years, no screenshots, etc.

19 new entries! I almost exclusively added Github repos. If you are looking for modern, supported codebases under at least recent development, SourceForge and Google Code are not the places to look for them.

I also re-ordered the list to more closely match the potential value of each entry, how active development and support are among a number of other factors.

Here are some trends I noticed:

1. Real-time MMOs are becoming much more common. I remember almost spitting my drink out a couple of years ago when I would come across a completed HTML5 MMO engine. Today I had to eventually cut them off because there were just page after page of them on Github so I tried to just grab the highlights. I can only theorize that this is because Node.js is becoming more mainstream and HTML5 game engines are evolving for the client-side development. True that some of them made the client-side completely from scrarch, but I think it still stands. The tools and the knowledge to use them for these types of engines are expanding.

2. Pure text-based PBBGs are becoming much less common. I raised the bar required for me to add it to the list and one of those requirements was fairly recent development. There are hordes of PBBGs made with their last update between 2007 to 2012. But after 2012 you really see a lot less of them. This could be due to the reported drop in interest in these types of games. That could be it, or it could just be the increased possibilities afforded by Node.js and HTML5 clients. I was still able to find a few promising ones.

3. Strategy games are becoming much more common. This is likely due to strategy games really beginning to take over the PBBG space. There were quite a few promising and impressive codebases that I added.

4. Modern architecture is on the rise. This includes MV* frameworks, modern tooling, npm/bower/Composer, Docker, etc. In past updates, these things were very rare to see in PBBG and MMORPG projects but now they were fairly common.

5. Node MUDs are getting more common. I have not specifically gone looking for Node.js MUDs yet (and that is one of the reasons why I said there may be more additions in the days to come EDIT: I went through the MUDs and added one very nice looking one!) but I can already see they are growing more common. Again, this is likely due to more people adopting node which makes MUD production so much easier than previous technologies.

In closing, there was far more than I could ever look in to and add. I tried to add the true highlights or oddities from what I found. I had to leave a ton of repos behind that had no demo site, limited Readme data but lots of code written. There is an entire world you can get lost in if you are brave and feel like cloning the repos and digging in. In general, browser games are on the rise and are growing in size and complexity at the same time. When I first created this list, I had to add a ton of "mystery codebases" just to try to fill it out and give people some options. That is no longer the case. The future of PBBGs and browser-based MMORPGs looks bright!
Jackolantern

Postby hallsofvallhalla » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:44 pm

This is awesome. So many I have not seen before, some I seen some time back and have grown. Thanks for this! The premier PBBG list of all the world!
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Jackolantern » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:23 pm

hallsofvallhalla wrote:This is awesome. So many I have not seen before, some I seen some time back and have grown. Thanks for this! The premier PBBG list of all the world!

Wooo! hehe Thank you!

Probably the most mysterious and curious thing I found was Burning Garden. You should at least take a gander at its repo if you haven't. The codebase, at least at my glance-through, appears to be about as large of Firefox's if you take out its JS engine. I am still so very curious as to what on earth it is. From looking at the types of classes it has and some of the file names it appears to be some type of real-time, browser-based MMORPG. But what it needs all of that work and architecting for is what has me so curious.
Jackolantern

Postby Oroton » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:17 pm

links are all dead for this.

*oRPG Creator: This is a unique entry, since it is actually a web-based engine with editors rather than a downloadable codebase. This could be a great option for those starting out with PBBG development or experienced devs who want to get right to their game's design instead of dealing with low-level details. Created by Sim. Here is oRPG's Facebook page.
02/21/17: Still going well! oRPG has changed to a commercial engine, so I moved it to the commercial section.
Oroton

Postby Jackolantern » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:29 pm

Oroton wrote:links are all dead for this.

*oRPG Creator: This is a unique entry, since it is actually a web-based engine with editors rather than a downloadable codebase. This could be a great option for those starting out with PBBG development or experienced devs who want to get right to their game's design instead of dealing with low-level details. Created by Sim. Here is oRPG's Facebook page.
02/21/17: Still going well! oRPG has changed to a commercial engine, so I moved it to the commercial section.

Thank you! I actually forgot to update the URL. It changed and I ended up going to Google to find it again. Most of the updates of older entries did not have a URL change so I think I just got into a rhythm of not having to update them.

Updated to the correct URL! And the Facebook page is gone now as well.
Jackolantern

Postby Oroton » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:42 am

What is happening with the Nowhere else engine or the somewhere else engine?

That looks awesome, is there anywhere I can get a look at..

This list doesn't say it, but it looks like Halls is looking after this?
Oroton

Postby hallsofvallhalla » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:46 pm

Kal, our member here is working on it and has made great strides. Remember to also look at Alains, Dot World Maker.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (3)

PreviousNext

Return to Resources