Listing of browser-based PBBG MMO engines

A topic built around all the best posts and information from the site. It includes informative posts, links to resources, tips, tricks, ect... Do not post here unless it will become a resource based post.

Re: Listing of browser-based PBBG MMO engines

Postby Jackolantern » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:43 pm

Nice find! I will add it to the list!
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Jackolantern

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Oroton » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:27 am

I have a working version, currently forked to add a template system to the Chivalry engine.

you can find the latest stable version here. IN it's vanilla state.

http://www.brissyriders.com/chivtest/index.php

you can login useing
U: test@test.test
P: test

it has full access to the admin panel.

majority of features are working but database is empty in it's vanilla state

For all futre updates for this engine what forum is the best to update?
Oroton

Postby Jackolantern » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:45 pm

Very nice! It seems like that engine is really coming along.

As far as where to put updates, we actually have a thread stickied in this section that never really took off that is dedicated to reviews and updates on engines in this list. You can find it here. Even though it was created some time back and not many posts where ever made to it, it is a sticky so it can always be added to. It would be a good place to put your thoughts and any updates on the engine now that it is on the list :)
Jackolantern

Postby Kesstryl » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:28 pm

I wanted to let you know that I made a fork of Dragon Knight on Github where I updated some of the code so that it will be php 5 friendly, uses mysqli, and has a few extra layers of security (not all inclusive, but better than what was there originally). Here's the link if you want to add it to the list:

https://github.com/Kesstryl/dragon-knight
Kesstryl

Postby Jackolantern » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:29 pm

Thank you and nice work! I added it :ugeek:
Jackolantern

Postby Kesstryl » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:57 pm

Jackolantern wrote:Thank you and nice work! I added it :ugeek:

Thanks! I'm fixing the mods that the old Dragon Knight forum users posted as well, and adding the fixed versions to a folder called Mods which is included with my Dragon Knight fork. It will take awhile to get most of them working (the ones that are worth having anyway such as pvp, clans, quest, etc). I'm not directly modding them into the base game in case game owners don't want certain ones. I do need to note that while I've updated the code to use mysqli, fixed undefined variables and other errors that php5 doesn't like,and added security features; this is not a rewrite to make the code completely modern with OOP or MVC. This is just to get it running on modern WAMP and apache servers running versions of php greater than 5.2 (my server uses 5.6). The code itself is still ugly, all procedural, and mixes some html in (though there is a basic template engine included). I really like the old game engine and still want to finish the game I started with it, but don't want the headache of fully modernizing the code itself with a ground up rewrite. Some of those mods are based on much older versions of the original dk engine, and they have been headache enough to figure out.

That being said, when I'm done, I might create a fork with all mods included in the base game just for those who want ALL the mods and don't want to code them in themselves.
Kesstryl

Postby Jackolantern » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:08 am

That is probably the best anyone could hope for with an older codebase like this. If you were actually trying to update it into an MVC style or something radical like that, it would likely be better to just start over and make the game from scratch because it would be such a huge refactoring.

But great job on getting DK running on modern servers! From everything I have seen, that was a huge undertaking! :D
Jackolantern

Postby BrisbaneGamer » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:36 pm

Thanks for the list, I am currently checking out Chivalry Engine, which is looking pretty good so far!
BrisbaneGamer

Postby Jackolantern » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:55 pm

Excellent! It was never used much, but we do have a thread specifically for reviews of engines and codebases on the big list. You can find it here if you want to put some of your thoughts on it in there after you have used it a bit.
Jackolantern

Previous

Return to Resources