MCCodes

RPG Maker, Eclipse, Xtreme Worlds, ect..
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

MCCodes

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Hmm seems I do not have a text based engine section so it will go here but anyone ever use this or know anyone using this?

http://mccodes.com/index.php
a_bertrand

Re: MCCodes

Post by a_bertrand »

Please remove that ASAP! Not only the code is bad, not secure, and not really customizable without touching the existing code, more over the support is 0.

I do offer a better alternative for a text engine if it's really what you are after.
Creator of Dot World Maker
Mad programmer and annoying composer
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Wow, the little that their engines have been mentioned here don't add up to be a good picture. See here.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
a_bertrand

Post by a_bertrand »

Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Ouch! A lot of that sounds terrible for the money they are asking for. When there is this much open source competition for PBBG engines, you really have to offer something special.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
a_bertrand

Post by a_bertrand »

The only thing they offer is some sort of Torn City clone, yet, without even all the features of Torn. It's just because many games used McCodes (a while ago mind you), that people still somehow runs after it. Specially those who think that installing it will make their game without efforts. Yet that's far from being true. Their engine is not secure, I reported a security issue more than 1 year ago, and still no fixes, I know there are more of those. The script once installed is hardly a fun game, and you can't install any mod without actually modifying the code which means, forget about future upgrades without throwing out your modifications.

Honestly, I would stay away from it. It also is way sub-par as code style and how to solve the problem. So even for learning it's not the right tool.
Lord Rahl

Post by Lord Rahl »

Mccodes support is completely non existent. Look at "mccodes free" (formally v1 that was being sold for $75, and then $30), and this product is after they claimed the security was updated. Honestly I would avoid it. It's popularity is due to the age of the product, and how successful some have been with it. This was before such a rich offering of free text based engines.

Redux is an update of v2 that frankly is... a mess. v2 is just plain php html mesh without structure.

In there defence v3 (announced at some point in 07 and for some reason has only had minimal movement), and has recently taken on two reasonably good programmers so it may actually move.

All in all don't waste your money. It's a community supported paid product, and that's never a good sign.
a_bertrand

Post by a_bertrand »

Well the asked the 2 developers to join the effort on Jan this year if I remember right... And since then both asked many times the owners to change completely the code as well as the price they want to ask, with no result. Plus... V3 code is still the same as the alpha they gave around last year, which offered the same features as V2 with some sort of OO design which makes all more complex without offering a good framework.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

wow thanks for the update. It was not for me. I have been asked several times in PMs on youtube and here about it and last week a friend ask me to help setup his version he got ages ago but I knew nothing about it so thought I would ask here.

I would build it myself before paying $120 but that is just me. Do not get me wrong there is nothing wrong with paying for a engine to make it easier. If I could find one that would get me a game going quickly I would buy it today but I also enjoy the building of the game itself.
Lord Rahl

Post by Lord Rahl »

I have run an mccodes game (based on v2), and it earned me more then my money back. The community is good... it's just about the only thing that is. Modifications for it far outnumber any other engine of it's kind.

V3? I admit I haven't really stayed upto date with it. If MCC are ignoring the programmers they have taken on then that is not going to be any better.

Return to “2D engines”