2D Rpg...sort of

RPG Maker, Eclipse, Xtreme Worlds, ect..
neronix17

2D Rpg...sort of

Post by neronix17 »

I want to make an indie game (obviously or I wouldn't be here), I have tried many engines and ways of doing things and so far a lot of it is a little ambitious for what I want to do with them, and yet I cant find a decent Pokemon-view game engine, I need it to handle rpg elements, with world generation algorithms, top down space combat similar to S.P.A.Z all at the same time.

I cant really describe the game as its all being kept as secret as possible at the moment (don't want anyone copying the idea and making it themselves before we do ;)) so I'm not really sure if anyone can help with this one but if someone can it would be fantastic. Oh and the engine needs to be able to support being able to place new buildings and have them build in several stages over a in-game period of time. I'm betting a lot of this would simply be the way I code it but I was just curious if there is an engine that can handle this sort of thing.

Also I'm not touching RPG Maker in any of its hideous forms. I don't want this to be browser based so nothing that is mainly for that please. I am having a look at RPG Toolkit but I am still curious if there would be anything else to do this with.
This isnt just a gimp mask...This is an S&M gimp mask...
neronix17

Re: 2D Rpg...sort of

Post by neronix17 »

They would be good if I was looking for an mmo engine :P its going to be singleplayer only lol, was thinking XNA might handle some of this best?
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

oh haha i thought you wanted a mmorpg engine..oops. Hell in that case there are a ton.

just seen this, don't know anything about it.
http://adonthell.linuxgames.com/download/index.shtml
neronix17

Post by neronix17 »

hallsofvallhalla wrote:oh haha i thought you wanted a mmorpg engine..oops. Hell in that case there are a ton.

just seen this, don't know anything about it.
http://adonthell.linuxgames.com/download/index.shtml
MY EYES!!! That really is one of the worst designed sites Ive seen! But from the screens it looks alright, doesnt seem to have all I need though, will be keeping an eye on it anyway :)
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

If you are looking for the perfect engine, you will be looking forever. Pretty much any engine you choose, you are going to have to make a lot of your features from scratch. XNA is a good choice for a programming platform, but it is not an engine, and you will be making just about everything except for low-level plumbing from scratch.

Particularly if you do not want it to be browser based, just choose an engine and start making it. If it is a good game, it will transcend whatever platform you make it on and can lead to more opportunities. I think in the Off-Topic section, someone linked an article about just finishing games, and it has really changed my whole out-look on indie game making. The author made some games on Game Maker (definitely not what we would consider high-end or feature-rich), and the popularity of it lead to an opportunity to re-make it as an XBox Live Arcade game that is now sold commercially (not in the Indie section) and an XBL Arcade developer's license.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
neronix17

Post by neronix17 »

Jackolantern wrote:If you are looking for the perfect engine, you will be looking forever. Pretty much any engine you choose, you are going to have to make a lot of your features from scratch. XNA is a good choice for a programming platform, but it is not an engine, and you will be making just about everything except for low-level plumbing from scratch.

Particularly if you do not want it to be browser based, just choose an engine and start making it. If it is a good game, it will transcend whatever platform you make it on and can lead to more opportunities. I think in the Off-Topic section, someone linked an article about just finishing games, and it has really changed my whole out-look on indie game making. The author made some games on Game Maker (definitely not what we would consider high-end or feature-rich), and the popularity of it lead to an opportunity to re-make it as an XBox Live Arcade game that is now sold commercially (not in the Indie section) and an XBL Arcade developer's license.
True, I thought I'd ask anyway :D there could have been the chance someone would have known exactly the engine for this but I knew the odds were slim lol, I'll just try it out in XNA since I've thrown a few weeks into it before :)
OldRod

Post by OldRod »

*Blink*

You mean people actually... finish... games?

:o

I should try that out someday...
62896dude

Post by 62896dude »

by OldRod » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:49 pm
*Blink*

You mean people actually... finish... games?

I should try that out someday...
Haha I feel the exact same way, my first game ever even close to completion is the current HPD game, which is hitting Pre-Alpha as soon as nexus and divinos and I get a little more time! :D
Languages: C++, C#, Javascript + Angular, PHP
Programs: Webstorm 2017, Notepad++, Photoshop
Current Project: HP Destiny
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

FS 3.1 WILL BE COMPLETED Muhahahahahaha mu.

Return to “2D engines”