Torque Game Builder

RPG Maker, Eclipse, Xtreme Worlds, ect..
ZeroComp

Torque Game Builder

Post by ZeroComp »

Does anyone use this engine? I just use the free version of it yet I manage. I got a book on TorqueScript so I am getting pretty familiar with Torque :D I guess I gotta try Torque 3D now that I am familiar with one Torque engine.
Coding-PHP, Javascript, C++, HTML, mySQL
Modeling/Art-Blender, GIMP
Games-Unity, Game Maker 8
OldRod

Re: Torque Game Builder

Post by OldRod »

I've never tried it, in fact I didn't realize there was a free version - have to check it out now :)
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

When you say "free version", do you mean the demo? I can't find a free version on the Torque Powered website.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
ZeroComp

Post by ZeroComp »

Yes that is what I mean sorry, I need to be more clearer when I talk :lol:
Sakar

Post by Sakar »

I bought it a couple years ago, never really used it since I couldn't find one decent source of information on TorqueScript.
ZeroComp

Post by ZeroComp »

Well there is a couple of books at some bookstores that is if you really want to get into it, I've read my book and am average at TS, it has C++-Like syntax so it shouldn't be too hard if you have a backround in C++.
dbest

Post by dbest »

Well, just a bump. Torque 2D was released as open-source a few months ago.
There is currently a kickstarter running to port the game engine to Android. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/162 ... sed-device

Support if you see fit.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

interesting. I have used Torque for years but still to this day HATE Torquescript and the complication of such little lthings like adding a weapon to a game in the 3d products. Torque2D is really kewl but definitely needs a android port.

Some of the games built with T2D could have been built with HTML5 and have gotten 100x the players.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Yeah, the only way I see any value in T2D is a mobile port. As Halls touched on, HTML5 and Flash just have too many advantages over a more desktop-oriented engine. More and more people are turning to mobile devices and tablets and away from traditional desktops, and they are also growing impatient with downloaded 2D games that could have been browser-based. Of course, there is a level of performance that is only available to desktop engines, but the majority of 2D games don't look like Rayman Origins, so they don't need that power that comes at the cost of alienating and annoying potential players.
The indelible lord of tl;dr

Return to “2D engines”